It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:48 pm

St. Norbert on Antichrist 
Site Admin

New post St. Norbert on Antichrist
From St. Bernard of Clairvaux, by Abbe Theodore Ratisbonne, TAN, 1991, p. 200.

Quote:
This great servant of God [St. Norbert] presents, notwithstanding, an example of the illusions by which certain private revelations sometimes deceive the wisest minds. St. Norbert believed, and loudly proclaimed, that Antichrist would appear upon earth during the lifetime of the men of his age; he founded this belief upon indications which he had received, and which appeared to him to be unquestionable. Bernard was the person who undeceived him, and we find the following passage on the subject, in a letter from the holy Abbot of Clairvaux, addressed to the Bishop of Chartres: “You ask me whether the venerable Norbert is going to make a journey to the Holy Land. I know not. A few days ago I had the consolation of seeing him, and of hearing from his mouth, as from an organ of the Holy Spirit, a number of edifying things; but he said nothing to me of his project. He told me then that he knew to a certainty that Antichrist would manifest himself in our day upon earth, and would appear during the lifetime of men of our age. But the foundations upon which he supported this certainly appeared to me to be anything but solid, and his explanations did not obtain my assent. He asserts that there will be, at least, before his death, a general persecution of the Church.”

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:31 am
Profile E-mail