Why Can't Trads "Just Get Along"?

Rev. Anthony Cekada
http://www.sgg.org/wp-content/sermons/080622.mp3

22 June 2008
St. Gertrude the Great Church
West Chester OH

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:38 pm

New post Re: Why Can't Trads "Just Get Along"? — Fr. Cekada
Dearest Sacerdos, You are back! How about that with-holding the Sacraments at SGG? What do you make of it? I remember those days of debate last year, and was hoping to hear from your good self.

I'll go read your link. Great title!

Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:43 pm
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Why Can't Trads "Just Get Along"? — C
I think the problem is that most people are too lazy or busy or
whatever - to research the facts. Not only concerning the Catholic Faith but other things like who runs their money, how the medical system/insurance has negative effects on their health, what the state is teaching their children, and on and on ...

And most people including Priests do not really understand the teachings of Jesus Christ. Once his teachings are understood then I think all problems would be taken care of ... including the relationship between Traditional Catholics.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:59 pm

What a sermon. What a contrast with a talk that Fr. Cekada gave many years ago at The Fatima Conference on the exact same subject. I recall he even used precisely the same historical examples. I was much edified by the talk upon hearing it and it made quite an impression on me. However, Father has drawn an entirely different moral now in this latest sermon. In his original talk Fr. Cekada advocated that we should not set up a substitute authority for the pope in these times in order to resolve conflicts on disputed matters. He advised that we should not invest one person or organization with the substitute authority, and he even used his own name as an example of one not to follow, as well as naming Fr. Gerard De Lauriers.

Lord have mercy on us all!

In Xto,
Clement

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:11 pm

I listened to this sermon just the other day and thought about posting a topic on it. Its basically a revamping of a sermon from 1991, which you can listen to here http://traditionalcatholicsermons.org/index_files/FrCek_BickeringPriestsIsNotSomethingNew_FatimaConference_1991.mp3 In my opinion, the earlier sermon was far superior.

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:13 pm

Somebody has to say it:

'If it was True then, it will be True today'.

Or have I mangled another old adage?

Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:26 pm
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Clement wrote:
In his original talk Fr. Cekada advocated that we should not set up a substitute authority for the pope in these times in order to resolve conflicts on disputed matters. He advised that we should not invest one person or organization with the substitute authority, and he even used his own name as an example of one not to follow, as well as naming Fr. Gerard De Lauriers.

Clement, good find!

I think Fr. Cekada would claim that his original sermon related only to differences between Catholics concerning matters of prudence. Obviously he never held that differences over matters of Faith should not cause any friction. And it is on the Faith itself that Fr. Cekada is now suggesting that he differs with the SSPX.

That much we can say for his consistency and for his position in general.

But that is also where his stance breaks down, for Fr. Cekada has never shown, or even pretended to show, that any specific aspect of the SSPX position is in conflict with the Faith. He peppers his essays and sermons with the term "doctrine" but very carefully avoids discussing the degree of certitude of the "doctrine" under consideration. He has shown that the SSPX position is erroneous, and he has described it as "objectively schismatic" (and more recently, Bp. Dolan has accused the SSPX of being "formally schismatic" but without proof), and he has repeated Bp. Sanborn's kindergarten ecclesiology in which adherence to a false pope acknowledged by every member of the hierarchy of the Church whilst explicitly rejecting the false pope's errors implies membership in a sect and loss of membership in the true Church (ergo, every Catholic ceased being a member of the Church in 1965, and some of them have since come back, which is a great relief!), etc. But never has Fr. Cekada accused the SSPX of maintaining an heretical doctrine.

Now, this is not to say that only heretical doctrines are worth getting hot under the collar about. Far from it. Nor do I accept that Catholics must maintain peaceful relations with others whose errors are merely erroneous, as long as they pull up short of heresy. There is certainly a vast chasm between errors which strip one of membership in the Church and those which do not entail this catastrophic effect, and it is certainly true that we must maintain unity of communion with all Catholics, insofar as it depends upon us. But unless another is actually a heretic, it is incumbent upon us, in accord with the words of St. Ignatius, to put the best possible construction on his words and actions. All of this Fr. Cekada surely knows and accepts. So, let us consider Fr. Cekada's position and see what he might do to draw others to consider it more seriously.

I think his position can be summarised as follows.

Fr. Cekada loves the priests and bishops of the SSPX and wishes to cooperate with them in all warmth and depth of fellowship in saving souls from the New Church. This is sometimes unclear in relation to Fr. Schmidberger and Bishop Williamson, but we should not be too hasty in thinking ill of any traditional priest, so Fr. Cekada's words about these men ought to be put down to the heat of the moment. Fr. Cekada knows that the vacancy of the Holy See is a matter not yet settled by Holy Mother Church and until it is settled by her, men of good will may lawfully differ over it. He sees that the acceptance of the claims of the false popes does however lead many of the good Christians in the SSPX into errors more or less serious and which may endanger their apostolate and lead to the loss of souls. He therefore must make every effort to understand the motivations of the SSPX and to enter into their mindset in order to see what they see, understand what they understand, and thus sympathise with them, so as better to think well of them and also better to lead them to sounder views. Knowing human nature as he does, he knows also that the heart is more potent than the mind in the fallen state of our nature, and that therefore he must avoid every word or action which might cause unnecessary offence and thus harden his friends in the SSPX in their position. He surely would therefore regret deeply the terrible effects of the split of '83, for example.

Of course, I could be wrong, and Fr. Cekada may well think that the members of the SSPX are not Catholics, but if so, surely he would accept that he ought to say when and how this earth-shattering event occurred.

I don't believe that there is a third possible position which is reconcilable with Catholic doctrine.

Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:06 am
Profile E-mail
Site Admin

Of potential interest in the present circumstances.

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:13 am
Profile E-mail