It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:51 pm

Encyclical of RatzBerg (i.e. Ratzo's completed by Bergo) 
Site Admin

New post Encyclical of RatzBerg (i.e. Ratzo's completed by Bergo)
http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/franc ... ei_en.html

Since the text is supposed to be about supernatural faith, and the main subject is mentioned several times in the first dozen paragraphs, I would have thought we'd come across a definition of the term, but no.

Instead, we are told a number of things about what RatzBerg refers to as "faith" and none of them sound orthodox.

For example, we are told that, "faith 'sees' to the extent that it journeys, to the extent that it chooses to enter into the horizons opened up by God’s word." So faith does not “see” facts, such as God’s nature etc. Instead, faith is really being equated here to a kind of infused spirit of prophecy which every Christian is given, and which then guides each Christian individually in his journey through life. This is some kind of Pentecostalism, which is unsurprising when we recall what else we know about Bergo.

Let's see what the various trad commentators have to say.

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:07 am
Profile E-mail

New post Re: Encyclical of RatzBerg (i.e. Ratzo's completed by Bergo)
We can take this sentence by synecdoche for the whole encyclical:
Lumen Fidei wrote:
The creed does not only involve giving one’s assent to a body of abstract truths; rather, when it is recited the whole of life is drawn into a journey towards full communion with the living God.
Cf. condemned proposition:
Holy Office, December 1, 1924 wrote:
Even after Faith has been received, man ought not to rest in the dogmas of religion, and hold fast to them fixedly and immovably, but always solicitous to remain moving ahead toward a deeper truth
An some more gobbledygook:
Lumen Fidei wrote:
Let us refuse to be robbed of hope, or to allow our hope to be dimmed by facile answers and solutions which block our progress, "fragmenting" time and changing it into space. Time is always much greater than space. Space hardens processes, whereas time propels towards the future and encourages us to go forward in hope.
Lumen Fidei wrote:
The Second Vatican Council enabled the light of faith to illumine our human experience from within, accompanying the men and women of our time on their journey.
Is he saying our contemporaries are all accompanied by faith‽

A concise, Baltimore Catechism-like encyclical would be very good, especially for our news-byte culture. In fact, here's what the Baltimore catechism itself says about faith, which Lumen Fidei never said:
Baltimore Catechism wrote:
Q. 465. What is Faith?
A. Faith is a Divine virtue by which we firmly believe the truths which God has revealed.
I agree with John Vennari's criticisms about the lack of mentioning the traditional definition of faith and how "It is a non-Scholastic document, not written according to the traditional Roman school. It is more in line with the wordy style of Ratzinger, von Balthasar and other ‘new school’ theologians."

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile E-mail

It is not simply a "non-Scholastic document". It is an "incomprehensible document" that is not capable of having any objective meaning. Any suggestion as to the meaning of any particular sentence, paragraph, or section is conjecture. I doubt even the authors really know what they are trying to say. They simply do not believe in any God higher than themselves.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Leo XII, motu proprio, Ut mysticum, 14 March, 1891 wrote:
To bring contempt and odium on the mystic Spouse of Christ, who is the true light, the children of darkness have been wont to cast in her face before the world a stupid calumny, and perverting the meaning and force of things and words, to depict her as the friend of darkness and ignorance, and the enemy of light, science, and progress.
Pascendi wrote:
the common saying of Modernists: that the religious man must ponder his faith.

Modernism: modernism. us.to
blog: sententiaedeo.blogspot. com
Aristotelian Thomism: scholastic. us.to

Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:27 am
Profile E-mail